Upper Downing Creek Falls
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Cascades
Upper Downing Creek Falls is east of Salem.
One of the mossiest locations I've ever found
Dirt Road GPS N44º 34.791', W121º 58.949', Elevation above sea level 2700 ft.
Road 2200/162 GPS N44º 34.558', W121º 58.798', Elevation above sea level 2875 ft.
Two Logs GPS N44º 34.579', W121º 58.44'
**** This road is very difficult to see on the left due to foliage at the entrance.
- From Salem: Head east on HWY 22
- 0.4 miles from milepost 69 turn left onto an unmarked dirt road ****
- 0.3 miles down this road park at a wide spot on the right near the sign for Road 2200/162
- Hike down 2200/162 for 0.3 miles until you reach an area where two logs sit parallel to each other on the right
(you will see a faint trail between the two 4 inch diameter logs) (the road degrades as you get nearer the goal)
- Head towards the sound of the creek on the trail
- Follow the trail upstream to find Upr Downing Crk Falls - flow is apparently year-round
It is nearly impossible to notice coming from the other direction.
There is no protected left turn on this busy highway, so exercise caution.
As reference, this hard-to-spot road is 0.2 miles south of the junction with Straight Creek Road #11.
If you see a sign with "Downing Creek" on it, you've passed it by.
Restaurant is near junction of HWY 22 and Marion Creek Road.
Campground near Lower Downing Creek Falls is close by.