Upper/Lower Kentucky Falls
plus North Fork Falls on N. Fork Smith River
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Florence/Mapleton
Kentucky Falls is between Mapleton and Walton.
Upper Kentucky Falls & North Fork Falls w/rainbow
Here's a visual treat - North Fork Falls & Lower Kentucky Falls are twins!
N. Fork Falls GPS N43º 55.855', W123º 49.08', Elevation above sea level 800 ft.
Across the road from the rest area is the trail leading to the falls.
- Access to falls is via Hwy 126 west of Eugene
- Six miles west of Walton turn south onto Siuslaw River road.
(aka Whittaker Creek recreation area - nearby sign on HWY 126 says "Austa")
- 350 feet down a right sweeping curve turn left at the
T-intersection (sign to Whittaker Creek and Clay Creek Rec. areas)
- At a distance of 1.6 miles turn right at sign for Kentucky Falls and Whittaker Crk Rec Area
- Another 1.6 miles (total 3.2) there will be a left turn onto Dunn Ridge Road
aka BLM 28.1 with a sign for Kentucky Falls (at least there was a sign before an
idiot with a shotgun blew most of the sign away)
- Ten miles further on this winding section will be a T-intersection.
Turn right to get on Forest Road 23
- Another 2.8 miles is Kentucky Falls recreation area. Picnic table
and rest facilities are available.
Upper Kentucky Falls is at 3/4 mile from the trail start. Lower
Kentucky Falls - and its twin - North Fork Falls are at the 2 mile mark.