Nick Eaton Ridge Falls*
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Columbia gorge
Nick Eaton Ridge Falls is east of Portland.
Photograph specifics: 0.3 S, ISO100, lens 18mm, aperture 11, tripod
GPS N45º 40.313', W121º 49.2', Elevation above sea level 1060 ft.
You will see the following sign through tall grass:
- On I-84 take Cascade Locks exit 44.
- Travel one mile along Wa Na Pa (aka US 30).
- Turn left onto Forest Lane.
- Travel Forest Lane for 2 miles (go over the overpass).
- At the stop sign turn left (sign for US 84 East).
- Travel the frontage road for 0.9 miles, stop and turn right at sign for Herman Creek Road.
- Go ¼ mile to a wide spot on the right side (GPS N44º 41.373', W121º 50', Elevation 220 ft).
Trail starts with Road 022. Walk through the tall grasses for a short distance. Now verify
you didn't get any unwanted hitchhikers, like ticks, on your pant legs.
First leg of the journey takes you 0.3 miles to a view of some overhead power lines.
The trail will veer to the right away from the powerlines. Travel another 0.6 miles
and turn left at the first sign for Herman Creek Trail #406.
Then, in ½ mile the second sign for trail 406 will appear on your right - follow the arrow.
In less than a ¼ mile the trail will have a fork - go straight.
Waterfall will be visible to the left in less than ¾ mile. Total hiking distance is 2¼ mile.
Majority of the trail goes up. Average rate of rise is 840 ft over the hiking distance
or 373 ft / mile (4 degrees).
*Waterfall named for nearest geographic feature for unnamed creek.
Interesting sights while walking Road 022 and the Herman Creek Trail.
Columbia Lily (Tiger Lily) and Red Columbine
Red Clover and Woodpecker