Opal Creek Fall's (Santiam)
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Salem
Gold Creek Falls
Opal Creek Fall's - Santiam
Opal Creek Fall's are east of Salem.
- On I-5 exit onto Hwy 22 and head east towards Stayton
- In 22 miles - at second yellow light just east of Mehama - turn left onto North Fork Road SE
- After 15.1 miles of pavement road turns to gravel
- After 1.3 miles of gravel the road forks at a sign
- Bear left at the fork where the sign points to Jawbone Flats
(you'll pass by the path to Henline Falls in 0.2 miles)
- After 7 miles the road ends at a gate
- You'll need a Northwest Forest Pass available at the gate
(sporting goods stores also sell yearly passes)
- About a quarter mile you will cross a bridge over Gold Creek. To the left is Gold Creek Falls.
- About two miles down the path there will be a dilapidated building off
to the right. This is Merten Mill. Find a path on the right of the building.
This will lead down to Sawmill Falls.
- A short distance back up on the path it forks. Take the right fork for the
Opal Creek Trail, which then crosses a bridge. Turn left to continue on the
Opal Creek Trail.
- About one mile on the trail you will find Slide Falls