Pacific Crest Falls*
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Columbia gorge
Pacific Crest Falls is east of Portland.
Photograph specifics: 0.6 S, ISO100, lens 110mm, aperture 22, tripod
GPS N45º 40.121', W121º 50.7', Elevation above sea level 1080 ft.
*Waterfall named for nearest geographic feature for unnamed creek.
- On I-84 take Cascade Locks exit 44.
- Travel one mile along Wa Na Pa (aka US 30).
- Turn left onto Forest Lane.
- Travel Forest Lane for 2 miles (go over the overpass).
- At the stop sign turn left (sign for US 84 East).
- Travel the frontage road for 0.3 miles and turn right at sign for Herman Creek Campground.
- Travel the narrow road (8400-215 label) - following the hiker-symbol signs -
for 0.3 miles and park at the gravel roundabout (parking may be difficult due to it being such a popular place).
- This is a fee site (Northwest Forest Pass available at sporting good stores).
- Head up Herman Creek Trail until you encounter a powerline access road, then find the trail again veering right
- You will reach a fork in the trail - stay to the right (left-going trail goes to Gorton Creek)
- Tenth of a mile past that fork you will glide down a switchback to a bridge crossing Herman Crk.
- Continue past the bridge for another 0.8 miles (be careful of all of the rocks on the trail - trip hazard).
- You will meet up with the Pacific Crest Trail - continue to the right.
- Follow PCT for 0.4 miles until you have to ford a small narrow creek.
- Once across the creek look up and to your left - ta da!
Foliage seen while walking the Herman Creek and Pacific Crest Trails.