Ruckel Creek Falls
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Columbia gorge
Ruckel Creek Falls is east of Portland.
GPS N45º 38.715', W121º 55.126', Elevation above sea level 270 ft.
To get a better view of the lower section go back down the road a short
- East on I-84 from Portland: take Eagle Creek exit 41.
- West on I-84 from Hood River: take exit 40 and head back east to 41.
- At the exit follow signs for Eagle Creek Recreation Area.
- Park your car at the rest area on the left. Northwest Forest Pass required.
- Trail starts by walking up the road leading to the camping area.
Watch for traffic.
- After a few hundred feet turn left at the green Gorge Trail sign.
- Shortly past getting on the trail the path splits into high, low and
center paths. Take the primary center path.
- From there keep to the left at subsequent trail junctions.
- You will eventually find campsites on your right and fence on your left.
- You will also hear I-84 traffic on your left.
- Dirt trail eventually ends at an old, paved, unused section of US 30.
Note the sign for Cascade Locks in 2.1 miles. Turn toward Cascade Locks.
- Upper and lower sections of the waterfall can be seen 0.25 mile
up the road at a bridge.
distance to the small area of asphalt that juts a short distance into the meadow.
Walk into the meadow and keep the blackberry bramble to your left. Work
your way down towards the sounds of the creek through the brush until you
reach the rocky creekside. It is an easy walk up to the falls.