Shelter Falls on Middle Fork Santiam River
w/large Swimming Hole
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Cascades
Shelter Falls w/swimming hole . . . . . . . . you can see to the bottom
Shelter Falls is east of Sweethome.
Insect Junction GPS N44º 28.456', W122º 13.69', Elevation above sea level 3715 ft.
Road 646 GPS N44º 29.688', W122º 10.386', Elevation above sea level 2620 ft.
Trail Start GPS N44º 29.519', W122º 9.993', Elevation above sea level 2385 ft.
Shelter Falls and Pool - GPS N44º 29.31', W122º 9.483', Elevation above sea level 2070 ft.
Directions: note - 12.7 miles of gravel
No rest or picnic facilities.
- 0.3 miles past milepost 52 on HWY 20 turn north onto gravel Soda Fork Rd (aka #2041)
- Reset your trip odometer
- At 7.6 miles you will reach the Insect Junction (six legs) - head straight through to remain on #2041
- In another 4.4 miles (total 12) you will reach a 3-way junction -Road 646 is the middle one
(it is marked with a hiker symbol, Chimney Peak Trail and #646 signs)
- 0.7 miles down Road #646 park at a widened area of gravel for the Trail Start
- 7/10th of a mile down trail #3382 you will encounter a 3-sided shelter - Shelter Falls and its large pool is nearby