on Butte Creek
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Salem
McKay Falls is northeast of Salem, OR.
Photograph specifics: AE, shutter 1/2000, ISO1600, lens 18mm, aperture 10, polarizer
GPS N45º 2.45', W122º 39.862', Elevation above sea level 440 ft.
Directions: Steps 1 thru 9 are the same for Upper/Lower Butte Creek Falls
Staying right, drive up the path and around to park in one of the spaces.
- On I-5 take Salem exit 256 (Market St. / Hwy 213)
- Head east on Market St. (note HWY 213 sign)
- At the second light turn left on Lancaster (HWY 213 sign).
- After 1.3 miles turn right on Silverton Road.
- In another 10 miles (while in Silverton) you will reach a three-way
stop sign. Turn left to remain on HWY 213
- Turn left on 1st St.
- Turn right on Oak St. (HWY 213)
- In another 4.8 miles turn right onto Scott's Mills Road NE
- In another 2.7 miles (while in Scott's Mills) turn right onto Crooked Finger Rd.
- In one-tenth mile turn left into the park past the gates
The waterfall is located in a park with swings, picnic tables and a restroom.
To get the view that I got walk back up to the entrace near a large log on the ground.
Find a small trail that goes to the right and follow it up to the creek. Wear long sleeves -
the blackberry bramble is unforgiving.