Upper/Lower Butte Creek Falls
Photographer: G. Price
Return to Salem region
Upper/Lower Butte Creek Falls are northeast of Salem, OR.
GPS - Upper/Lower Butte Creek Falls, el. 540m
Upper Butte Creek Falls / Lower Butte Creek Falls
Entire 37 mile length of Butte Creek (from Butte Basin to Pudding River)
forms part of the county borders between Marion (south) and Clackamas (north).
Steps 1 thru 9 are the same for McKay Falls
Trail sign on tree shows how the trail is arranged. Just head down the trail (listen for water)
- On I-5 take Salem exit 256 (Market St. / Hwy 213)
- Head east on Market St. (note HWY 213 sign)
- At the second light turn left on Lancaster (HWY 213 sign).
- After 1.3 miles turn right on Silverton Road.
- In another 10 miles (while in Silverton) you will reach a three-way
stop sign. Turn left to remain on HWY 213
- Turn left on 1st St.
- Turn right on Oak St. (HWY 213)
- In another 4.8 miles turn right onto Scott's Mills Road NE
- In another 2.7 miles (while in Scott's Mills) turn right onto Crooked Finger Rd.
(go past park for McKay Falls)
- After 9.2 miles Crooked Finger Road turns to gravel.
- Note your odometer or reset your trip odometer at this point.
- In 2.1 miles turn left onto road CF400 (but not marked as such)
- In one-tenth mile the road forks. Take the right fork.
- In another 1.8 miles there will be a rest area with parking on the left.
- Trail to the falls starts here.
and you'll first reach a spur trail that veers sharply right to Upper Butte Falls.
After reaching the upper falls get back onto the trail and look for a fork in the trail.
Take the right fork and continue down to the lower falls.
Site is day-use, no-fee.